Learn 5 tips to getting your kid back to school with a healthy smile
Can you believe that school is back in session? The summer flew by and now you find yourself needing to make that back-to-school dental appointment for your child. We can help you with that! We can also help by giving you some invaluable dental tips kids need. Specifically, back-to-school tips. Having good oral hygiene doesn’t have to be an arduous task. If your child can begin early on in life with healthy habits, they will not have any problem maintaining that healthy lifestyle throughout adulthood.
5 Dental Tips Kids Need To Survive Going Back To School
- Get Regular Dental Check-Ups. Getting regular check-ups can diagnose problems or prevent them altogether. It’s good to stay ahead of the game when it comes to your child’s oral health. Going to the dentist regularly, about twice a year, according to The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, can save you a lot of time and headache in the long run as far as preventative care and early diagnosis go.
- Eat Healthy Food. If you’re going to be packing your child’s lunch this school year, make sure it’s as healthy as possible.
Don’t pack sugary drinks and candy. Sugar will eat away at the tooth’s enamel causing cavities.
Do pack foods high in calcium such as cheese and yogurt, as it will help to neutralize acids in the mouth. If your child is going to eat in the school cafeteria, make sure you go over healthy eating habits and making wise choices with them. For tips on how to get your children to eat more healthy foods and snacks, visit the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Brush. It cannot be said enough. Brushing is crucial for proper oral hygiene. It’s important to get the right toothbrush for your child’s age and needs. It is also important to switch out toothbrushes after an illness or every three months or so, according to Colgate.
It can be difficult to remember when to change out toothbrushes. A good rule of thumb is to switch them out when your child gets their report card. You could actually even make that part of a reward for good grades – picking out their own toothbrush!
- Floss daily. This isn’t optional. Even for kids. You want to start your kids flossing as soon as the teeth are touching each other. Technique is important. The children’s disposable flossers are fine as long as the floss is placed firmly against the sides of each tooth. The goal is to get as much food debris out from between the teeth as possible. This could be the difference between no cavities and cavities. It’s essential!
- Get Enough Sleep. You might not think of this as an obvious dental tip kids need, but it’s an important one. When your child gets enough restful sleep, their bodies are able to recoup from the day’s activities. Not only that, they are better able to fend off illness and recover faster from not feeling well. Add to that, their bodies are growing and maturing every second of every day. That includes their teeth. Getting sufficient sleep is one of the biggest tips for kids’ overall health.
These are just five of the countless dental tips for kids to start the school year off with a healthy smile. Kangaroo Smiles can help you with any dental need your child may have. We have experience in treating the littlest patients to children with special needs.
You can count on and trust us to care for your child as if they were our own. Their success is our success. We make it our goal for you and your child to walk away all smiles!
Call us today to set up their back-to-school appointment.